Now that the weather is getting nicer, we are often trying to find more reasons to get outside. What better way to do so than to spend a day by the pool or having a picnic? So, we’re starting the picnic series. We’re going to focus on fresh recipes that can be added to the picnic basket, or can be a perfect edition to your fresh, healthy, happy meals to be eaten outside. We’re going to start with an infused pesto. The great thing about pesto, is that it can be used in a number of different ways— plus, it’s as fresh as fresh can get. Add this basil pesto to your blackened chicken sandwich, your salad, or just as a dip for a nice baguette. The great thing is— you have options…
Infused Basil Pesto: Picnic Series
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano
- A handful of piano nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/2 cup infused olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp shallot, minced
- You’re going to love this— all you need is a blender or, preferably, a food processor to complete this pesto.
- Start by adding in everything but salt and pepper. You want to wait until the end to add these two because they’re to taste. Then, throw it all together, blend it up, give it a taste. Finally, add the spices according to your preference.
- Now, you’re all finished!
You have an easy, quick pesto that’s so earthy, springy, fresh, and infused that your sandwich will thank you. I suggest doing a grilled chicken, tomato, mozzarella, and pesto sandwich. It’s easy, it’s light, and perfect for a picnic. It’s important to remember that you can riff on these recipes in any way that your heart desires. Do all basil, do all oregano, add cilantro, sub pine nuts for almonds or walnuts— make it your own! The biggest key is to use fresh rather than dried herbs. You want your pesto to be fresh, so keep all the aspects of it fresh too. We hope you enjoy!